How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3770
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I still don't meet the one who will help me to get my

Customer Question

I still don't meet the one who will help me to get my deposit and extra money collected by my former landlord
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

Every landlord in the UK is required by law to register their deposits with the government deposit scheme (you should have received notification of this from the deposit scheme).  This is called deposit protection.  If a landlord fails to do this, they can be taken to court by the tenant. For failure to protect the deposit.  The fine for this can be 3x the initial deposit.  It would be advisable to let the landlord know this is your intended course of action should they not return your deposit.  If a landlord has protected your deposit and they are of the opinion you require to contribute to any lost rent, damages to the dwelling etc. they require to raise this with the deposit scheme who will notify you of this intent.  If you oppose this action, you can do so by reverting to them and advising of the same.  If there is a dispute there is an arbitration department who can decide if, and how a deposit will be distributed or paid back.   If they owe you any other money you can make small actions claim to obtain this back.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
One of your colleagues have given me two solicitors to contact which I did, one of them responded but said the second solicitors deal with my problems. That is the stephsons solicitors but it difficult to get them
Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

I am afraid I don't know them personally.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

If it is a small claims action, sometime it is easy enough to do it yourself.