How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10307
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

The landlord wanted to increse the rent with 25 pound a

Customer Question

Hi, the landlord wanted to increse the rent with 25 pound a month , we agreed with that , we have signed a contract and now he changed his mind , he wants 50 pounds now instead 25 , is this legal ,can he do that?
JA: Have you spoken to an attorney about this?
Customer: No,
JA: What other steps have you taken so far?
Customer: So the terms of accepting this increasing was that the landlord need to repair the garage roof and the heating , is was a problem since we moved in for about 2 years , he just fixed the roof now and told us to paint the house windows and doors, for free , i told him is not my obligation as a tenant to do that , he was angry when i refused and now want to increase with 50 pounds, if we don.t agree he said he will give us a notice to leave the property
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: So i don.t know if is this legal , he said he can increase the rent whenever he wants
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.

No he cannot deviate from the terms of the signed written agreement. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He want to give us one month notice to leave the property , i need to specify that the landlord want the rent just in cash no bank transfer
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 7 days ago.

Probably for tax avoidance reasons but who knows. If your contract does not specify a notice period of only one month then he cannot give you only one month notice. I trust tis assists

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The landlord can give me a month notice to leave the property without no reason?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 days ago.

If that is in the contract yes. If it is not in the contract then as I said no. I trust this assists