How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10338
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

My tenant has unpaid rental dues of £2850. The deposit does

This answer was rated:

My tenant has unpaid rental dues of £2850.
The deposit does not cover the unpaid dues and also if they have damaged the property which is now costing me over £5000 in repairs and renovations.
Also they are being difficult and refused to let me arrange any viewings for prospective tenants.
They have now left asking me to return their deposit . They refused to return my keys when I told them that they need to pay their dues and settle the deposit with Mydeposits .
They are not returning the keys nor giving me their forwarding address.
Could you please let me know what my legal rights are regarding this difficult situation.
They also refuse to provide me with a forwarding address so I cannot put a small claims court notice asI do not have a forwarding address.
Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.Thank you

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

You cannot claim rental arrears from the deposit you can claim damages against the deposit however, so in this case that would leave you with a deficit of £2,150 in damages plus rental arrears. You can claim against them in the county court for this amount but would need their address, they are not obligated to give this to you. This means you will be in a position of having to accept the financial loss or engage a private detective or someone to track them down to bring the claim and add the costs of that service to the claim. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you . That was helpful. What about keys? Can I lodge a police complaint as they have keys to my flat?
You could try to lodge a police complaint but realistically they will say it’s a civil matter and you should change the locks. I trust this assists
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you.
Happy to help take care
Jeremy Aldermartin and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you