How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6037
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I have recently inherited a house together with my brother

Customer Question

Hi I have recently inherited a house together with my brother from my recently deceased cousin.
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry I didn't mean to stop my message there! The house is in Wales, my brother is in Wales and I am in Norfolk. The house was never transferred on the Land Registry to my cousin. It remains in his parents name, His father died first. The house then passed to his mum who died in 2005. My cousin was an only child and continued living in the house. He passed away in May of this year leaving a will which states all assets are to be shared equally between my brother and me. Land registry say we need a letter of probate or Letters of Administration from his mother but we can find no record of either. Do we go back to Land Registry with the information that we have or do we seek help from a solicitor? Should we require a solicitor, how do we find one one that specialises in this sort of thing? Very grateful for any advice offered. Many thanks.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes my brother contacted Land Registry and they did reply with the above information.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I am aware.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 15 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 15 days ago.
I am a solicitor in England and Wales. It is my pleasure to be assisting you today. I may ask for further information in order to determine a legal position.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 15 days ago.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 15 days ago.

I may not respond immediately as i will be concluding another case, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I’m really sorry, I thought I was talking to Citizens Advice Bureau. I didn’t realise that I was responding to a Pop Up. Please do not respond to the above query. I have cancelled my payment made in error and cancelled any future payments.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your last message . If there was no grant of probate for his mother and being only child he may have been the one responsible for administering her estate and probably did not do anything since he would have been inheriting everything. You would need to look into administering the mother's estate first and to to pay any taxes due (There is unlikely to be any if she inherited from her husband, your cousin's father). Land Registry will not give you legal advice regrettably, so you will want to find a private client solicitor or probate solicitor and they should be able to look into the mum's circumstances first and then transfer to you under your cousin's Will. HMRC has a helpline and they can clarify for you if there is any tax owing.

Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are always glad to clarify and assist further. Thank you for contacting just answer. All the best.