Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Looking to have an extension built to my townhouse property.

Customer Question

Extension will be full width of house (5m) and look to go out into our back garden by 3m. It will be a single storey extension.Am wondering whether this will fall underr the bounds of 'permitted development' I have hard about?
The house falls under Shropshire local authority
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 5 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I will endeavour to help you today.

It may do but there are a number of requirements namely:

1. No more than half the area of land around the “original house” would be covered by additions or other buildings. Sheds and other outbuildings must be included when calculating the 50 per cent limit. The term ‘original house’ means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

2. No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.

3. Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.

4. Single-storey rear extensions must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than 4m if a detached house; or more than 3m for any other house.

5. Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of 4m.

Provided all these requirements are met it would fall under permitted development. I trust this assists.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks Jeremy. Yes helpful
The fact that the property is a 3 storey mid-terrace ‘town house’ do you believe that would have any bearing on the above? The 3m extension seem to come into play - which is fine - it’s the fact walls either side of the new extension will have to replace what is currently fence between our garden and neighbours.

No that should not be any issue. I trust this assists