SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I am selling my terraced house, which I right of way across

Customer Question

I am selling my terraced house, which I right of way across my neighbours back garden. Doors have been fitted over my access and fitted with locks which the neighbour is refusing to give me a set of keys. What can I do legally to resolve this problem
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: West Midlands UK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes the access across the property is in my house deeds
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No only that fact that my buyers may pull out of the sale with this access
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 13 days ago.

hello welcome to Just answer.

I am a solicitor and It is my pleasure to be assisting you today. I may ask for further information in order to determine a legal position.

Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.

I may not respond immediately as i will be concluding another case, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.

Thank you for your patience. Your neighbour should not be blocking your easement. If the right of way is not disputed and they are not willing to open the gate and to give you a set of keys then you may have no option but to formally make an application to Court for an injunction order requiring them to either remove the locks or to give you a key. You should send them a letter before action warning of this if time is not of the essence but if you are wanting to sell now without delay you can apply for an urgent injunction order and claim your costs from the neighbour if you succeed.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are always glad to clarify and assist further. Thank you for contacting just answer. All the best.