How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Inderdeep Your Own Question
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 252
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Inderdeep is online now

Freeholder is absent. I’m buying a flat where the freeholder

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: freeholder is absent. I’m buying a flat where the freeholder an individual, Has been for years . My lawyer says I can’t buy the freehold only get an indemnity insurance policy which the seller has done
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London the property is in beckenham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Asked my lawyer if I can buy the freehold
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the freeholder is an individual not a company and he has been absent 17 years . He used to live in the flat I’m buying . No forwarding address.

Thank you for using Just Answer i will be assisting you today.

Please note the following points:-

Just Answer host the website and deal with payments and billing. Any queries or concerns about this must be raised with their customer services ( tel: 0808(###) ###-####. I am just a legal expert answering your enquiry and do not have any involvement with the fees charged by the website.

My replies are always in writing.

I may not respond straight away if i am away from my desk but will respond as soon as i am able to so please be patient.

Any pop up requests are generated by the website. If you request a telephone call with an expert it will be with whichever expert is available. Customer services will undertake this. This service is subject to additional charges and with whichever expert that is available at that time.

If you accidentally select a call you will need to contact customer services.

We as experts only provide general legal advise. We do not offer legal representation or client/solicitor retainer.

The advice that i provide is general legal advice and i may also refer you to government guidance which is publicly available.

I cannot act as your solicitor or enter into a client/solicitor relationship. If you need representation you need to instruct a solicitor.

If your enquiry requires me to read and advise on documentation this is a premium service subject to additional costs of which you will be advised.

If you require urgent legal representation you should consider contacting any of the following organisations:-;;

I will now turn to your enquiry and assist you as best i can so please bear with me.

A situation where there is an absent freeholder can be concerning especially if there are any disrepair or maintenance issues. You would need to ensure you instruct a surveyor to look at these issues and also look at the lease in regards ***** ***** term and ground rent.

You can apply to the court for a vesting order and then take over the freehold however there are certain criteria that need to be met in that you need to be a qualifying tenant and own the property for at least two years, and the other leaseholder must also participate.

Inderdeep and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Okay many thanks