james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

My landlord is refusing to release me from the tenancy

My landlord is refusing to release me from the tenancy agreement and yet they keep bringing people to view the property. What legal action can I take to end the tenancy

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

When did you start your tenancy agreement ?

How long was it for?

When is it due to end?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
April 2021
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It was a 12 month tenancy
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
April 2022

Then in that case unless there is a break clause in the agreement, then the landlord is under no legal obligation to allow you to end the tenancy early.

The agreement will likely contain a clause to state how soon before the end new prospective tenants can be shown around.

Also, if you have  asked the landlord to leave early and the6 have said yes if suitable replacements can be found, then that would allow them to bring people to view.

But until suitable replacements are found a or until the end of your f8xed renata, agreement, you remain liable for the tenancy.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
They are bringing prospective landlords to check the apartment
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Not tenants
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I want to leave the tenancy agreement and they are refusing
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Can I leave the tenancy agreement

No you cannot leave, you are legally bound until the end date unless there is a break clause or unless the landlord agrees.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Didn’t the landlord break the agreement when they brought people into the apartment

You will need to read the agreement to see what it says is allowed. But normally they would be allowed to show new prospective managers around.

That would not break the agreement sorry,

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That’s what I thought. That them bringing people to view the apartment is a break in the tenancy agreement

As advised no it would not be as they are looking as management.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Prospective buyers are not management

You said landlords before. I assumed new management company.

If they are selling the property them yes they can show buyers around.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ransom people who want to harass me could pretend to be prospective buyers

I have answered the question. They are not simply bringing people to harass you, I am sure everyone is far to buy than to simply play games