How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4045
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I am confused about a matter that has been raised by the

Customer Question

Hello. I am confused about a matter that has been raised by the solicitor of the buyer of my house. I own a freehold property in cornwall that was built in 2015 and it is part of development of properties that share access to communal grounds (for which we pay an annual sum of 280 pounds to an appointned maintencance company. The buyers solicitor has raised a query about some recent change in the law related to the annual maintenance fee and I cannot recall whether the issue is related to a proprsed deed of variation or a certificate of compliance but was wondering whether you have any idea an sorry i pressed enter too early. whether you might have any idea what the query might be pertaining to.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no. just queries coming through from the solicitors. something to do with charges and recent legal changes related to annual maintenance fees. something about a right to change the 'rent' status of of the property. Sorry I am sounding a but wishy washy about it.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: just that my lawyer mentioned that the builders of the development might have drawn up this document when they built the estate.......any ideas about what it might be?Customer: Chat is completed
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for the question.  I am just looking through this for you now.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  If this was already drafted as a deed of variation, it would be registered under AP1 with the land registry.  Therefore you will want to as your solicitor to make an application to obtain a. copy of this document.  However, the solicitor on the other side could do the same.  That would be the first thing to try.  As you have a solicitor instructed in the matter they should really be dealing with tis for you so definitely get on to them first thing, but they should check with the land registry.  

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thankyou for the reply. I spoke with her and this is the issue: archaic British law and city exploring a Deed of variation to not lose my buyer:-/
Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Did you obtain a copy of the deed?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
no as the issue was not relevant to my property due to the wording of the maintenance fee contract which is paid via a management company and therefore not subject to a deed of variation. What a game of words it is!
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

So where are they stating this is in place?