SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I have got a section 21 notice from the landlord to vacate

Customer Question

I have got a section 21 notice from the landlord to vacate and I asked him to delay it until December. How can i delay it and what happens if I over stay and what are the consequences.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 12 days ago.

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read it, and if I do, they will appear in my next response. It is important you answer all the questions I ask, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response.

JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 12 days ago.

What date does the s21 end?

Has the landlord protected your deposit?

Were you served with the 'How to Rent Guide' when you moved in?

Do you have a copy of the relevant documents, gas safety etc.?

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 12 days ago.

You are not obligated to move out at the end of the notice.  You can stay in the property, continuing to pay rent and complying with all the tenancy terms, until such time as the landlord takes you to court and obtains a possession order.

Please note, however, that if you remain in the property after the notice ends, and the landlord has to take you to court to get possession of the property, you are very likely to expose yourself to having to pay the landlord's costs in taking possession proceedings against you.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 12 days ago.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 12 days ago.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading, or, once you have rated this question you will be able to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. When you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law. 

All the best!