james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I have received a letter asking to pay for overdue rent,

Customer Question

i have received a letter asking to pay for overdue rent, however ihave not signed to be a guarantor.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: essex uk
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i had given them my ID, bank statement and licence info to conduct a credit check
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

If you have not actually be provided a guarantor document to sign, and have not signed any such agreement, then you are not the guarantor.

I would advice that you reply to the person, inform them that you only provided you details for a credit check, but at no time did they send you or complete and sign a guarantor agreement and therefore you are not liable.

They need to chase the actual tenant.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
by me giving them my information, could they use that against me?

NO, you gave your detail for them to carry enquiries, they should have then informed you everything was clear and have you sign a guarantor contract.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
no, they attached a gaurantor form in the email, but i didn’t t fill it out because i waiting to recieve the tenancy agreement before signing it. the form also requires a witness signature. on the letter they sent me it says i signed an agreement, which i know i haven’t. what would be the best thing for me to do going forward?

Then as already advised above, you have not completed and signed as a guarantor, you are not liable. I did explain this before and that you should reply to them and advice them of that.

]

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.