MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

What rights does a sitting tenant have if the landlord sells

Customer Question

what rights does a sitting tenant have if the landlord sells the property
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: north yorkshire
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: nothing specified
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no other information
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 17 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

To answer your query, generally, if you have an ongoing agreement or contract with your landlord (the seller), as the sitting tenant, you will retain the right to continue living in the property once the sale has been made.

Normally, when the buyer completes the property, they will also take ownership of the tenancy agreement put in place by the previous landlord. In most instances, the tenancy will be an AST (Assured Shorthold Tenancy), which means the new landlord may have the right to evict the tenant from the property by issuing a section 21 notice.

In this case, if you signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, you have the right to remain in the rental property for a fixed period of time outlined in the agreement. This is usually six or 12 months but can be longer.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.