james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

We have been perfect tenants for 4 and a half years. Due to

Customer Question

Hi there, we have been perfect tenants for 4 and a half years. Due to coronavirus my husband and I have been made redundant. We have asked our landlord's managing agents to dissolve our tenancy agreement, which they have agreed to do. We have paid rent on the 1st May to the 31st May. They would like us out on the 23rd May but to dissolve the agreement would like us to pay a further £1080 plus £80 admin fee and they want that up front. We have asked them to take it out of the refundable deposit which they are holding of £1900. They want it now to market the property. For the aforementioned redundancy reasons we cannot pay the fee up front and will be put into unnecessary debt. How can we respond? Thank you.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oxford, United Kingdom.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have agreed to move out on the 23 May. We have simply said we cannot pay up front but we have asked for them to take the £1080 plus £80 admin fee out of the deposit that they are holding.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No. Thank you.
Expert:  james bruce replied 9 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Sorry to hear that you both lost jobs during covid, it really has been a bad two years.

Unfortunately, it is a catch 22 situation you are in. The agent wants fees upfront, and understandably you dont have these.

As long as you give written consent to the agent o deduct these from the deposit then they can do that. The only cause for concern they may have is if there is problems with the property which would be dealt with from deposit money and there not being enough deposit if they use it for the other purpose.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you James. The agent visited the property on the 28 April 2022 as per the tenancy agreement for a property inspection and took photos. All was well and the landlord said that we are wonderful tenants. We are returning the property in better shape than we inherited it. Should this not go in our favour?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you James for your response. I am happy with that. Should we need anything further I will let you know.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.