Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Am a full Time university student. I have applied for an

Customer Question

Hi, am a full Time university student. I have applied for an exemption. However I am joint tenants with another student. However she left the country after just one month into a 9 month tenancy and is not returning. It might be difficult for me to prove to the council that she is in fact still a full time student but taking the course online. Could I still be liable to the council if say for example, she just ignored me and my attempts to reach her?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 17 days ago.

Yes you could because you still have a joint tenancy meaning she could be resident in the property with you even if she is not currently and if she is still doing the same course as well the council is likely to conclude without confirmation from the university that she is not studying in the UK and that the joint tenancy is changed to a sole tenancy that council tax is owed in full on the property. I trust this assists