How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 11658
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

Am a full Time university student. I have applied for an

Customer Question

Hi, am a full Time university student. I have applied for an exemption. However I am joint tenants with another student. However she left the country after just one month into a 9 month tenancy and is not returning. It might be difficult for me to prove to the council that she is in fact still a full time student but taking the course online. Could I still be liable to the council if say for example, she just ignored me and my attempts to reach her?
JA: Have you talked to a tax professional about this?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 17 days ago.

Yes you could because you still have a joint tenancy meaning she could be resident in the property with you even if she is not currently and if she is still doing the same course as well the council is likely to conclude without confirmation from the university that she is not studying in the UK and that the joint tenancy is changed to a sole tenancy that council tax is owed in full on the property. I trust this assists