MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I would like some advice. I live in a rented apartment with

Customer Question

I would like some advice. I live in a rented apartment with an allocated parking spot that I pay £65 a month for. Another resident has been parking in my spot for 4 days. Do I have to pay for those 4 days?
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, I’ve put in the group chat that the car needed to be moved on Friday. Contacted the letting agent today and they have said the resident is on holiday and that it’s unfortunate…
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

In such cases, it would be best to contact your apartment owner regarding your concern. However, since you contacted the letting agent, may I know what was their decision in relation to the payment?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don’t have the owners contact details unfortunately.
I said I would deduct the amount for 4 days parking from my rent and they said
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I understand this is not your problem and I agree it's a huge inconvenience.The amount will be on your rent arrears. As mentioned, unless there is a loss of income this will not be reimbursed and can affect referencing.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I do not think I should be paying for a service I have been unable to use?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Yes, indeed you don't have to pay for it. If they will insist, you can raise a complaint. You have three options where you can raise a complaint:

1. Complain to your landlord - they should have a complaints policy that you can follow.

2. You can make a complaint to a ‘designated person’ (your MP, a local councillor, or a tenant panel) if you cannot resolve the problem with your landlord.

3. You can contact your council or local authority if you and your landlord still cannot resolve the problem.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks for this. Are you able to put something in writing which states that I don’t have to pay for it?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Unfortunately, we, at JA, simply provide general information, you can formally instruct a solicitor to execute it for you. However, you may provide them with this transcript. 

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Would you like me to provide details on how to locate a solicitor close to your home address?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do you know if there is a way I can download the transcript?
Yes that would be great thank you
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

You should receive the email communications via the JustAnswer platform direct to your inbox.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Also, you can find a local solicitor at the following link: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.