UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My neighbour has replaced his fence but has caused damage to

my neighbour has replaced his fence but has caused damage to my plants.
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london borough of bexley
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no this is just a general enquiry. There was a honeysuckle attached to it but I had a previous owners permission. This has now fallen down and taken some rose bushes with it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The fence was erected by a previous owner of my neighbours house over 20 years ago. The present owner got quotes and started the work. It then transpired that a wall needed replacing. They asked to replace it with a fence. When we pointed out that it was a party wall they asked if we would pay half which we agreed to. They then decided that the fence was also jointly owned. I am away and it took some time to get a copy of our deeds which were not helpful. I suggested waiting until I got back but they didn't want to do that and said they would replace the fence at their own cost and were extremely angry.

I am a solicitor.

Sorry t hear this. What do you wish to do now?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
what are the rules to me putting up my own fence
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm overseas and can't do that

We do not need to have a call. You may put up a new fence on your side of the boundary. You may also seek damages from your neighbour in connection with the damage to your flowers/plants, or you may decide to let it go.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. I hadn't thought of damages.

You are welcome.

All the best