How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 16730
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I need help with a rogue landlady who wants to bring a

This answer was rated:

I need help with a rogue landlady who wants to bring a contractor round to check the property whilst we're in the middle of moving? She has been over in the property perhaps once a month since november. She has sworn at us and also sent vicious emails. What are my rights ? Can I refuse her ? How do I word it
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That's all
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

As a tenant you have a right to quiet enjoyment of the property. Even if the tenancy agreement doesn't mention this, it is an implied term of a tenancy meaning it applies automatically.

She cannot turn up unannounced and can only attend if there are works required, and only if reasonable notice is given.

It sounds like she is harassing you - you can reasonably refuse any further request for her to enter the property and an injunction from the local county court could be applied for. You may also be able to claim compensation for harassment.

You can word it yourself or you can use a lawyer - I would go with a lawyer as they may offer you no win no fee terms meaning you pay nothing up front. If they recover damages then they could charge a success fee.

Here are a few choices for you if you would like to use a lawyer :

1. Knights Law, tel: 01204 655614, email:***@******.***

2. Stephensons Solicitors, tel: 0161(###) ###-####

3. Duncan Lewis, tel: 0333(###) ###-####

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JimLawyer.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks Jim. It's feels like an abusive relationship. Could you guide me with a small note to send her about why now isn't a good time
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We pick up the keys to our new place on 14th. We are in this house until the 30th. Not one month, in four years has she not contacted us to tell us how to live. She also refused to give us any sort of discount during the pandemic

Hi, we can't draft anything for you as we are not a law firm (we are an internet forum), sorry. You can use the arguments in my answer to help you put something together. As I say, it would be far better to have a law firm do it for you as the landlord is likely to pay attention to them.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is it worth commencing this now before we move?
I would do, yes. Otherwise she will just continue with her harassment.
JimLawyer and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you