Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

We are professional landlords and are buying a block of

Customer Question

We are professional landlords and are buying a block of tenanted flats as part of our business will we qualify for commercial rate of CGT at 1%
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: england
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We are purchasing the block
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We are a limited company and actively trading
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 9 days ago.

Hello! I am Solicitor4All, a law expert with over 15years practice. Thank you for the inquiry. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

Thank you for the brief, Please leave the matter with me for now, I will respond once done rest assured today. Thank you

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Great, look forward to hearing from you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello I should have said SDLT rather than CGT as we are buying them and want to ascertain if we can get the 1% commercial SDLT rate, thanks

Thank you  for your patience. The SDLT of 1% that you are referring to is applicable if you are taking out a lease but you are buying the block of flats for business purposes therefore the rates applicable would be 2% for the cost equivalent to the lease value that you would have seen for 1% and the maximum would be 5%.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. Always glad to assist and to clarify anything. All the best.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for the reply. How do I calculate the lease element and rates of SDLT on a purchase of 1.65M? It is 14 seperate properties in a block in a single purchaseThanksMike
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for your message. If you hear with me I am mobile to work, once in I will respond properly.