How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 31676
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Myself and my neighbour have both been renting a piece of

This answer was rated:

myself and my neighbour have both been renting a piece of land which we sited or own mobile homes on, for the last 23 years, along with storage units for my tools and equipment. the landowner died of an unexpected illness nearly seven years ago. we have been paying the rent to is 2 sons, whom are selling up to a property developer and have issued us with a notice to quit and requires us to vacate the land by 30th may. we have nowhere to be able to take our mobile homes, we also will need more time. we need to know what, if any, our legal rights are
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: none
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: winscott farm, Buckinghamshire. LU70DJ
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we are both OAP

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

  1. I am very sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if you occupy the mobile homes as your main residence please?
  2. Are they static homes or caravans on wheels?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
to main address, static homes

thank you. Based on what you say, this is likely to be a basic tenancy without security of tenure but because you occupy the mobile homes as your main residence, you would nevertheless have protection under the protection against eviction act which prohibits eviction without a court order.

As such, the landlord would need to give you reasonable notice and if you refuse to leave, would then need to consider applying to court for possession before they could physically remove you from the land.

In the first instance, naturally, you would presumably wish to consider negotiating with the landlord for an agreed solution but in the event that fails, you have the option to engage with any possession claim the landlord makes and among other things, you can apply to the court for up to 6 additional weeks to be added to the date the court orders you to leave on grounds of exceptional hardship.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
please explain why we dont have security of tenure
Even where this may be a tenancy rather than a licence unless you have lived there since before 1989 you could not have security of tenure as the law changed at this point to restrict security if tenure
Joshua and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you