Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I live in a tower block on the 20th floor. There are 2

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Hi. I live in a tower block on the 20th floor. There are 2 lifts, but both have had issues for months so it takes me a long time to get to/leave my flat, occasionally getting stuck in the lift, like today. The managing agent keep telling me it is being sorted asap, but i have been here for 9 months and i think for 6 months the lifts have not worked. I pay a lot of money per month to be here. Do i have a legal right to claim back rent?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: London SE1 4NL
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I havent done anything official no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that is all
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 days ago.
1.  Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your Question.  I am your Expert and I will assist you with your Question today.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 days ago.

2. I regret to say that just because the lifts in your tower block have not been working, this does not give you a right to withhold rent or to claim back rent from the landlord.  I regret to say that the law does not recognise such a claim.  However, I would advise you to negotiate with the landlord and see if they are amendable to making some deduction because of the difficulty caused by the lifts not working.  However, just be aware that the law does not allow you to claim back rent.  You effectively need to negotiate with your landlord and threaten to leave if some effort is not made to accommodate your wishes.  So, seek to negotiate with the landlord but do realise that the law does not allow you to claim back rent for the lift not working in the communal areas.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 days ago.

3.  If you require clarification or if there is additional information you wish to share, I will be happy to assist further in the resolution of your Question.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you for the answer. That's clear
Expert:  Buachaill replied 9 days ago.

4.  You are welcome.  Glad to be of assistance.