Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My partner passed away in January in the will it says i can

Customer Question

Hello my partner passed away in January in the will it says i can live in the property until i decide not to and can’t be sold without my consent there are 3 executors to the will which are his daughters they want me to sign a tenancy agreement and want keys to the property but I’m not a tenant what should i do about this any advice would be greatly appreciated
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Llandovery in Carmarthenshire
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: it’s still going through probate at the moment
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i can’t think of anything else at the moment
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.
I have been in the legal profession, in high street practice, for 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.
Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Are you being pressured by the daughters at the moment?

does the will say anything about rental status?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It doesn’t say anything about rental it says i can reside until i cohabit get into another relationship or decide to leave
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i don’t want to continue with this conversation anymore sorry to have bothered you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

You have probably seen a pop-up offering you the chance of a telephone call at an extra cost. It is up to you whether you have a telephone call or not but do bear in mind that a 15-30 minute telephone call covers an awful lot of ground and you can get an awful lot of information in that time. So you can ignore it or go ahead or go ahead later. It’s your choice.

Meanwhile, we can carry on on here.

My personal view is I would tell the executors to get lost. You are not obliged to sign the tenancy agreement. Don’t sign anything.

I have a personal friend in exactly the same situation the family members have been trying to get him out for years. So far they have is wasted GBP20,000 They have tried every angle they can to get him out. He still in the property and they have now given up. Fortunately, I gave the legalities for him pro bono.

I would suggest he tells them that he’s taken legal advice and the right to live in the property arises under the terms of the will and he is not obliged to sign anything. If they don’t believe him they should take legal advice but regardless he’s not signing anything.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Can I help you any further with this?

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding. Please don't hesitate to ask.

Stuart

Expert:  Stuart J replied 15 days ago.

Hello again.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Stuart