How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 31701
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I need housing advice, Hackney London, no, I am living in

Customer Question

Hi I need housing advice
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hackney London
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am living in supported accomidation my tenancy has come to an end they have not supported me whilst i have been here. They are not helping me to move. I have been to both Hackney and Waltham Forest council for help and they are refusing to help i do not know hat to do.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I am very sorry to read of the above. Has alternative accommodation been offered to you by the local authority or a housing association please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

thank you. Do you have private accommodation that you are moving to?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
They haven't offerd me anything
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I do not have private accomidation that I can move to which is why i need help i have been looking but the places i have seen are not suitable
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also I would rather get a place through the council because then it will lead to permanent place
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

thank you. Have you registered with the local authority's housing list?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have registered with Waltham Forest Housing list and will start bidding tomorrow I would have have started earlier but I wasn't able to. I am unable to call at the moment
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

thank you. Are you proposing to move out of the property voluntarily or before you obtain alternative housing?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I have come to the end of my tenancy agreement I was told that I would be supported in moving on but I wasn't so it's not voluntary i have to move
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I need to obtain housing before I move
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

thank you. Has the landlord served any notice upon you instructing you to leave the property (e.g. an eviction notice) to date?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

thank you. Is this a s8 notice or a s21 (form 6A) notice?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Neither it's a letter saying my tenancy will not be renewed
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

thank you. That is helpful in that it is not at least an eviction notice requiring you to leave. It is important that you do not leave the property voluntarily unless and until such time as you receive an eviction notice and subsequently a court order ordering you to leave the property. if you do, it potentially allows the council to the new to have made yourself voluntarily homeless which will reduce your priority on the waiting list.

Otherwise, it will be a question of following the housing list procedures to bid on properties until such time as you secure one and after that you can make arrangements to move.

If the local authority is not supplying services they agreed in terms of assistance, you can consider raising a complaint in this regard with the local authority and escalating this through their complaints procedure ultimately if necessary to the local authority ombudsman for independent review and determination:

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for the information if they do not respond well with my last email i will raise a complaint
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

I'm very glad the above was of some assistance

Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.