How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4394
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

Ex friend with holding property and won't give it back,

Customer Question

Ex friend with holding property and won't give it back
JA: Where is the ex-friend? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Belfast
JA: What steps has the ex-friend taken so far?
Customer: Changed lock on storage container. Refusing to give property back.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We are unable to contact this friend as we have been advised by social services to stop all contact as she has placed us and kids at risk. She is also currently out on bail for other crimes. We are also looking at getting some sort of injunction against her for making false statements to social services as well as harassment
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She has also sent over court papers for small claims court as she says we owe her for the storage unit, yet the unit is in her name and is her unit, she didn't get it for us and allowed us to just store a few things of ours along with her things. Also she helped with the cost of the deposit of our rent house but when I said to her on messages about paying her back she said not to worry. Now she is suing for that to
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. The only thing that can be done in these circumstance is to file a defence in response to her claim.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

In the defence you should set out why it is you are saying you are not required to pay. So, for example, you should state that the items are being stored with her consent and there was never an agreement in place for you to pay.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

You would have to consider whether to sue the ex friend for defamation if the information that is being placed on the internet is not the truth.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.