Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I live in a flat there 4 flats in total in this building and

Hello I live in a flat there 4 flats in total in this building and we all pay a service charge, there’s been an ongoing issue with the roof for the past 1 year and now I’ve received a letter with a breakdown of quotes and the cost of replacing the whole roof but on this letter it states that all the leaseholders need to pay which includes me even though I don’t own the building is this true as I’m very confused about the whole situation
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Margate Kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none at the minute I’ve just received the letter today stating that we have to pay for the roof even though I don’t own the building just the flat
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Hello there, how do you do? I am Solicitor4All, a law Expert with over 15 years in practice. It is my pleasure to assist you today. Thank you for the inquiry
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m good thank you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This is the letter that I was sent I’m the leaseholder but I don’t understand why the leaseholders need to pay for the whole roof to be replaced surely that would be the responsibility of the person who owns the whole building and property as they should have building insurance to cover this

The structure of the building and normally the roof is the responsibility of the freeholder and the buildings insurance that you actually pay for through the service charge should normally cover this. Without seeing your Lease Deed and examining the covenants therein I cannot say why you are being asked to contribute. Reviewing the Title Deed would attract an additional small charge as it is often an extensive and not simple document to review, if you want that you can advise and I will ask customer support to send you their offer.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. Always glad to assist and to clarify anything

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
please that would be great

Cheers