How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 16733
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My landlord had to dig out part of the brick inside my flat

This answer was rated:

Hi. My landlord had to dig out part of the brick inside my flat as there had been reoccurring water coming in. It took about 2 weeks to replaster and paint. During this time he said to keep a dehumidifier running day and night. I don't think I should pay for that electricity and have worked out a sum of £20 for him to pay. I suspect it probably cost more. When the plasterer came he didn't put dustcover down so dust is everywhere. I am disabled so need to use a cleaner so should my landlord pay towards that? Finally when everything was finished they didnt put blinds on properly nor put up the curtains and I cant do that myself. When I text landlord he just ignores me. I just want to be treated fairly. What can I or should I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Derby England
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: I'm not sure but he is meant to upkeep the building and outside
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The last time this happened it took months for them to sort it but obviously it still hadn't been fixed. He gave me a £100 refund on my rent. Oh and I also forgot to say that with all the exposed brick above the door it was 2 degrees colder than normal so I did have to use an oil radiator. So I also think he should pay for that.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issues you have with the landlord.

The extra costs you have incurred are due to the fact the landlord had to carry out works to the external structure of the flat.

They are liable to repair the property - but they should not expect you to bear any additional costs as a consequence of their work. They should agree to pay you for those, or agree to a rent reduction.

I would not recommend you withhold rent as it gives them an excuse to then evict you. Far better would be to consider a small claims case against them if they refuse to pay you for those extra costs you mention. You could do it now or you could want until you leave the property if you are only there for a fixed term.

You could report the landlord to the council's housing department if there are any disrepair issues which are ongoing. The council can step in to help if there are - you can reach them by email here:***@******.***, or telephone 01332 640764.

As for a small claims I can set out how to pursue that if you wish.

The other option is to consider using a lawyer to write to the landlord - this may have more of an effect and it could also help claim compensation for loss of enjoyment due to the disrepair issues.

Here are a few choices for you if you would like to use a lawyer :

1. Knights Law, tel: 01204 655614, email:***@******.***

2. Stephensons Solicitors, tel: 0161(###) ###-####

3. Duncan Lewis, tel: 0333(###) ###-####

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JimLawyer.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you

My pleasure - I'm happy to clarify anything - you may also want to pursue the loss of enjoyment claim though I would say you may well qualify for a no win no fee agreement from a lawyer - nothing to pay up front and they can also help get any disrepair issues sorted out quickly too.

JimLawyer and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you