How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4721
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I want to draw up an agreement with my neighbour to share

This answer was rated:

I want to draw up an agreement with my neighbour to share his driveway. However a small part of the driveway will be on property we own and I have just found out that it is unregistered. I really dont want him to know that and we certainly claim it is ours as we have had it for over 25 years when we bought the land. In turn the neighbour has a new house and has his eletric, water and telephone coming over my land. Would we draw up agreements each with plans and register them with Land Registry? Would i be forced to tell my neighbour that our land is unregistered? He isnt an easy person to talk with
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, I just read the guidance on the Gov Uk website pw62 and understand that we need to fill in HM Land Registry form AP1. Do I need a solicitor to do all this. It is very important to us
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Not yet. We have registered our house/property with Land Registry but not the shared driveway as this was agreed recently.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The unregistered land is critical to us as it is part of our access but we only found out about it being unregistered when we built on part of our garden and built a smaller house for ourselves. The neighbour had a piece of land going back decades and he gave it to his son. His son wants a shared driveway and we agreed it would be practical and esthetically better. However, he does not know that part of our land which would be our driveway if we did not reach agreement for a shared driveway is actually not registered although it has been part of our fenced off garden for over 27 years
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no i dont think so

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. What I recommend doing is to apply for the title to this unregistered property prior to entering into the agreement with the Neighbour.

You would be able to apply for title by way of adverse possession. Thereafter you could enter into the agreement with your Neighbour. Doing it the other way around most certainly runs the risk of the unregistered portion being disclosed.

ReadyLaw and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You do as it has come out of my Santander account. First £5 and then £43.??

Kindly speak to our customer services team they will be able to address this for you.