How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 26799
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I have an hmo, currently there's one teanats staying in the

Customer Question

i have an hmo, currently there's one teanats staying in the flat whose AST will expire next week. I wish to amend the fee to reflect a new additional cost which is electricity surcharges, how can i get this additional electricity surcharges legally without giving the teanats a new AST? i don't wish to give a new AST becoz its then fixed for one year, i don't know what's the situations coming year so don't wish to commit to one year yet.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 19 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 19 days ago.

This is a regular AST?

and what do you mean by electricity surcharge?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Morning Stuart, correct a regular AST (HMO) , on the previous signed AST, the rental fee is including all bills. but this year deal the crazy price of electricity bill , i do not agree to include electricity fee anymore. the electricity will be charged as per meter charged , i explained to teants, he said ok, i just don't want to give him another AST which will bind me for one year if there's another way to do it ?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 19 days ago.

This has actually become a very common question and in the same way that the price of energy went down, the landlord wouldn’t be reducing the rent, if it goes up, the landlord can’t increase the rent.

It’s one of those things where you need to plan forward and include a provision for price rises or have it billed separately.

Not quite so blunt terms. It is in the section HMOs/bills included tenancies:

what can you do?

Give the tenant notice but tell them that you are willing to renew the tenancy but it would be on different terms. They don’t like it, they vote with their feet.

I’m sorry, that really is all there is to it. I’m sorry, I know it’s not the answer you wanted.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards


Expert:  Stuart J replied 19 days ago.

Can I help you any further with this?

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards


Expert:  Stuart J replied 18 days ago.

Hello again.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Kind regards