How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 26816
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

How can I find out what was paid for a property in 1992? The

This answer was rated:

How can I find out what was paid for a property in 1992?
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The Studio, (now known as Cofflete Cottage), Woodend Road, Torquay, Devon, TQ1 2 PZ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. I just want to know what was paid for this property in 1992.
JA: The answer cost depends on the issue and time to respond. You'll see the exact amount on the next page and can decide then. It's way less expensive and more convenient than any face-to-face visit. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Thank you. Can you put me through so that I can see what it will cost?

Hello. My name is***** you for the question.

It is my pleasure to assist you today.

I have been in the legal profession, in High Street practice, for almost 30 years so I have wide range of experience in a great many different aspects of law.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Although I am shown as online, I may be dealing with other people, on the telephone, or typing.

Please be assured that you will receive an email once I have written a reply.

Just Answer is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board and therefore sometimes it will be minutes, sometimes it may be longer, even hours or overnight.

I apologise in advance if you suffer a delay.

Kind regards.

Do you live in this property?

what is the reason you are asking this please?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I own the property in Torquay but do not live in in. It is tenanted. I live in Ducksbridge Cottage, Winterbourne Berks. RG20 8AW
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No thank you.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I bought Cofflete Cottage, Woodend Road, Torquay in 1992 but have mislaid purchase documents and wish to confirm what I paid for the property.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Title Number for the Land Registry is DN92279. Completion on 2nd December 1992.

There is no guaranteed way of finding what was paid for the property.

Nowadays the price paid is nearly always in the title deed.

However, in 1992, it was optional and sometimes it was and sometimes it wasn’t.

You can get the title deed and the plan quickly and easily by using this link:!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

and you will have to pay 3 pounds for the title deed and 3 pounds for the plan. You do not need the plan.

You will then have them in minutes if not seconds.

That may help you or it may not. Otherwise it would be a case of looking at the property price index and working backwards based upon the value today. There are certain calculators available on the Internet that will do that between dates.

It’s most unlikely that the solicitor who dealt with the purchase is going to have the papers of role this time because they only need to keep them for 6 years.

What you may be able to do is get a copy of the transfer deed from the land registry if the amount paid is not on the title deed. There is an extra cost for transfer deeds which varies between GBP7.20 pounds. You cannot order them online, you have to ring the land registry customer services and by over the phone.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question. I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards


Can I help you any further with this?

It's my pleasure to help. I’m glad that I was able to help so far.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

I'm happy to clarify anything which is outstanding.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Very disappointing. I requested two reports from the Land Registry on my home and land at Ducksbridg Cottage, Winterbourne RG20 8AW and only received I map and registration documents for each, despite paying for full reports.. And, have got no further finding what was paid for my house in Torquay in 1992.

You need to see whether the land Registry has got the 1992 transfer which transferred the property from the previous seller to you because that will contain the price.

They don’t always have them but you can’t get them online, you have to ring up customer services.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Can you give me a phone number for Registry Office as I can’t find one. Would be so grateful.

If you Google

Land Registry Telephone Services Telephone Number

it will give you the telephone number of the one nearest to you.

For example it gives me

0300(###) ###-####

However looking at the government website it seems to be the number for all telephone services:

As you appreciate, solicitors use a different system.

If you don’t have any further questions, I will mark this question thread as complete for now, but don’t worry, the thread stays open if anything else crops up over the course of the next days weeks or months.

I’m glad that I was able to help.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your legal problem.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

I am glad to help.

By the way, if you would like to ask me a new question in the future, (not just clarification on this thread, then please just type @ (the at sign) followed by my name and you’ll be able to select my username to tag me in the question.

If you like, you can also put “For Stuart J only” in the question thread and then the other experts will know that it’s for me.

You can also tag me as one of your favourite experts.

Thank you

Kind regards.


Stuart J and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you