How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32257
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I have a couple off question as I have new neighbours and

Customer Question

Hi , I have a couple off question as I have new neighbours and they have started to make alot of changes and would like to better understand and to check to see if they are allowed to make the changes.
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in west yorkshire , Huddersfield
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that i know off
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

how may I assist in relation to the above please? I note you are concerned in relation to certain actions your neighbours are taking?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi Joshua, yes I have some concerns , I live in an old mill that has been converted to terrace houses Im at the end of the terraces and have common yard in the back , that is apparently owned by my new neighbours , i have only just found this out , and a private small front garden with only one little stairway upto it , this provides access for both houses to get to the garden which is split into two by a path, i have pictures if you need. i also have right of way across the front of their house.My new neighbour wants to put up a fence up but he says on the deed the stair show as his , but this take away my access , also after measuring the inside wall of my house and using the same measurement ,my house actually ends abit over half the stairway into the garden, so i dont think the title plan is very accurate.Also they are wanting to put a fence in the middle of the common yard round the back too?Hope this makes sense , i have the title plan for both properties and pictures if you need
Many thanks Rebecca
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
these are the deeds , I'm number 14
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

thank you. Do you have the title entries as well as the file plans for both properties please?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have the title summary for next door is this the same thing?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I can get mine from .gov if you need ?
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

I can comment up to a point without your title but it would be helpful if you are able to obtain a copy of your title as I can then comment more fully. you can obtain a copy of the following link:

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
here it is
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have attached a picture so you can see the the Little stairway going upto the garden ,where the bench end is where my wall on the inside ends , I measured it. hope it helps
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
this is pic of where they want to put the fence :(
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

thank you. if you cast your eye over your title and in particular, entry two of the property register on your title which you kindly just supplied, you will note that you have a number of rights of way including rights over the common yard. The extent of those rights of way are shown on a plan which is a quite different plan to that of the file plan showing the extent of your boundaries which you have already supplied. In order to obtain a full picture of the rights contained within your title, you will need to obtain a copy of the plan referred to. Unfortunately this cannot be obtained online and needs to applied for using a paper form which you can find at the following link.

you will need to make an application for the plan filed under title number WYK332408 (there is no date). As regards ***** ***** of the form, you will enter your title number and so on and then send this form to the following address together with payment in the amount of 7 pounds:

HM Land Registry Citizen Centre PO Box 74. Gloucester GL14 9BB

Until you receive a document, we cannot say for sure the extent of the rights of way you have beyond that you appear to have certain rights of way over the common yard and certain foot paths but as above, I am not able to identify the extent and location of those elements without the above plan.

If you would like to obtain the plan and then revert to me once you have done so, I will be pleased to provide more specifics in this regard which should establish the position relatively conclusively

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** apply for this today and get back to you
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me in particular when you have access to the plan.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi Joshua ,sorry just a quick one , is this title WYK332408 in ref to my address? don't want to fill it incorrectly and have delays
Expert:  Joshua replied 21 days ago.

you would be writing your title number in panel two but in panel seven where you set out the document you are requesting, you would write WYK332408 as the title number under which the document is filed

Expert:  Joshua replied 20 days ago.
I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.