How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32218
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I bought my freehold house in 2002 and then married my wife

Customer Question

I bought my freehold house in 2002 and then married my wife in 2005. I now wish to add my wife`s name to the Land Registry title to make it jointly owned. Is there a standard form for me to complete to do so?
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Endon in Staffordshire Moorlands.The Land Registry was Birkenhead.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Only my clearing the then outstanding mortgage in 2008, nothing else.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No I don`t think so.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

May I confirm if there is a mortgage on the property presently please? You make reference to clearing your mortgage in 2008 and therefore assume unless you have taken out another mortgage since then, the answer to this will be that there is not?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No there is now no mortgage on the property.
Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

thank you. In the circumstances, it is relatively straightforward for you to consider transferring the property as you suggest.

In order to do so, you would need to draft a transfer deed. You will also need to prepare an application form to submit to the land registry and finally, you would need to prepare identification forms for each of you and your wife. All of this with the need to be sent to the land registry together with a fee under scale to the land registry fee scale based upon the value of the interest transferred.

Links to the documents and forms required and referred to above can be found at the following links:

Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.


Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.
I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was going to thank Joshua for his advice but since then you have inundated my telephone with messages, the last one waking me and my wife from sleep at 11:32 pm, last night. YOU MUST STOP, I DO NOT WANT ANY FURTHER ACTION BY YOU AND PLEASE CANCEL ANY FURTHER PAYMENTS THAT YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE FROM MY CREDIT CARD!!
Expert:  Joshua replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry to read of the above. I will not post anything further to this thread.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.