RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

Can I get some assistance please on the top of excavation of

Customer Question

Can I get some assistance please on the top of excavation of a driveway and just catching the cable to be nipped that was only about 3 or 4 inches underground
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None we didn't even knew we caught it until we got a call from customer a week later saying that united utilities have detected a fault which affected other property's lights. They said it was probably nipped and only faulted when water got to it as I said we wasn't even digging that day. I've not recieved a letter with no warning or advice of a bill of £1,500
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I know of, except the cable was extremely high. Once we took the flags up the cable was right against the house wall and around 2 inches below
Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

I have read the information you have provided.  Does this mean you have received a bill for £1,500.00?  If the is the case what was the content of the letter received (if you are able to upload it that would be very helpful).

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (52L3244)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (Z3PMM5L)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (4ZVPG37)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (76QLZLG)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
At the time after we left the job it was the customer that contacted me to say they found a fault and they believe it may have been nipped and only came to there attention one water had shortened it. Now I mention we had not hit the cable as we knew it was there. I have a video backing this up as we dug holes to unearth the cable. We told the customer that the cable is way to high at the time. We also told the customer when we have installed the new foundations and compacted it then it may have crushed down with the foundations especially underneath was rock solid like concrete bar a few pot holes that where soft
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (M23QZSG)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The cable is next to the grid and that is the part that had been slightly snipped around that area I believe
Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** accordance with legislation this is acting as a pre-action protocol letter which is required prior to legal action.  Therefore, they are holding you liable for the costs of repairs.  You have two options at this point.  Firstly, you can concede liability and offer to pay for this (you can offer a payment plan if required).  However, if you do not accept liability for the damage, you can defend this matter in court.   If you wish to defend the matter, you will require to build your defences and submit these to the court once initial proceedings have been intimated by the other side.  With that being said, if your defences fail, you could be liable for legal costs.  Therefore I would advise having the matter assessed of merit prior to making a decision whether to defend it or not.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Even if it was the case of paying the prices are extortionate and gave us no option to come and replace the drive ourselves there has been no contact and no evidence to show that we have not taken care when unearthing the cable and they did admit and told the customer it was the slightest nip and only just broke through
Expert:  RJM Law replied 17 days ago.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.