How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32195
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

Someone owes me for work I have done on his own house. How

Customer Question

Someone owes me for work I have done on his own house. How do I put a charge on it as he is going to sell it this year. And does this guarantee that I will be paid.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what location this is in?
Customer: Thundersley in Essex
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: he is doing it all in his wife’s name to avoid tax
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

  1. I am sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if the customer has admitted that money is owed or if this is under dispute please?
  2. if the latter, do you have clear evidence of the money owed to you - for example an agreement as regards ***** ***** a contract?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He knows he owes me money as I have kept all of his text messages and promises of payment. I have outstanding invoices for him.
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

thank you. So to be clear, you have written text message admissions by him that he owes you the money?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No I won’t be doing the phone call I was after the information.
Expert:  Joshua replied 14 days ago.

So to be clear, you have written text message admissions by him that he owes you the money?

Expert:  Joshua replied 13 days ago.

Do you have any further information in respect of the above pelase?

Expert:  Joshua replied 12 days ago.
If you have further information on the above I will be happy to provide a general answer
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.
With your permission I will provide a general answer in the morning
Expert:  Joshua replied 11 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms tthe initial step would be to consider issuing a letter before action demanding the payment of the funds. You can either prepare this yourself or you can use the following service to assist you in doing so as you prefer:

from there, if the individual continues to decline to pay the monies you claim are owed to you, then you need to consider issuing proceedings in the County Court to make a recovery.

If a claim in the County Court becomes necessary, the simplest way to pursue a claim in this regard is by using the courts online issuing service:

Expert:  Joshua replied 10 days ago.
I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.
Expert:  Joshua replied 10 days ago.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.
I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.