MarcInLaw
MarcInLaw,
Experience:  Expert
110941711

Hallo ,Can landlord increase my rent from 480 pounds a month

Hallo ,Can landlord increase my rent from 480 pounds a month to 700 pounds a month please?Is it legall to increase rent more than 220 pounds in one year please??
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Its Beeston Nottingham please
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Im living in this property many years please.House needs some refurbishment as heating system etc.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Qustion is.Can landlord increase rent more than 200 pounds in one instalment please?

Hello, this is MarcInLaw and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online. You will have a chance to request a call. You will see an automatic prompt. Please feel free to request it but do not feel obliged to do so. Please do note that my response is not instantaneous but I will always aim to get back to you on the same day with my answer, or request more information, if appropriate. Lastly, please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and do not replace any legal advice you might need, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

I am sorry to hear about this. What kind of tenancy do you have?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
private house tenancy please
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can You send me answer by email please??

I can only post it here, I am afraid. Can you please have a look at your tenancy and let me know if there is a rent reveiw clause, if there is please copy it here.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
There is not rewiew and my tenancy agreement us old with different reality estate and different person.New one tenancy agreement I refuse to signed due to large energy bills please.Can Landlord increase rent mire than 200 pounds a month please?

If it is a standard AST then they can but if after the increase your rent is higher than average rent in your area, then you can challenge this increase.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It is not higher but house energy bills is too large and in 1st and 3floor is not heating and we have to use 2 sources of gas heating and 2 sources of electric heating and still cold inside

Ok, I understand. So you may want to argue that it is unjust to increase the rent based on the issues you set out above and see what the landlord says.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We have in average 300 pounds a month gas and electric bills ,there is 500 pounds a month in winter
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
reality estate trying push us to move out due to change property to students lettings

I understand. Try to challenge this and if things get really difficult involve CAB - they offer free legal advice on such issues: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/

I hope this was helpful. Please feel free to get back with anything else. I will help to the extent I can.