james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Is this a real person? Lol, Surrey Uk, none, no

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Is this a real person? Lol
JA: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Lawyer more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Surrey Uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

What would you like to know today as this will determine whether I can assist you?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have a pet that I obtained through his previous owner dumping him on me…I’ve asked the building if I can keep him and they’ve said yes under some tricky terms that feel unfair
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can you confirm what I’m paying the £44 for?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
if you can help me

Unfortunately this is out of my expertise therefore I will opt out.

Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

What is the landlord saying you can or cannot do?

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

A landlord cannot any longer use a blanket ban on pets and should accept and agree to any reasonable request. They can however place conditions. There is no legal list of such conditions and would be something to be agreed by both parties. They would take into account the type of property, other residents, the type of animal etc.

For example it tis unrealistic to keep for example a Great Dane dog in a 1 bed Thord floor apartment. So common sense needs to be used.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your response. Does the same apply for share of freehold? I own the flat.
Seb is a British bulldog and he is the sweetest thing. His previous owner was a waste and abandoned him. I was only supposed to be looking after him for a week - I had no intention of keeping him.
In my lease it says to have a pet, I must obtain permission from other directors so I went down the proper route and asked.
The ‘secretary’ came back to me with the following:
sorry for not getting back to you sooner re Sebs! I’ve been chatting to Ashley and Selda (the other owners) to get their thoughts and we are all of the same opinion. Whist yes, we agree it would be lovely for you to be able to have Sebs, it is not on that he uses the communal garden as his toilet. I’ve just seen him outside having not one but 2 poos which is pretty disgusting. We would also ask that you use the side gate rather than bringing him in through the main front door…there are already paw marks on the carpet and when the weather turns, he is potentially going to be bringing lots of dirt in with muddy paws. So on the condition that a) he doesn’t use the garden as his toilet b) you will use the side gate and not bring him through the communal hall and c) he remains the quite little pooch he seems to be, we will agree to him living here
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
With regards ***** ***** points, a) obviously he’s a dog so he goes toilet outside, he does not use the garden as a toilet! I also was with him and cleaned it up. I’m also advised not to walk him in this heat, it’s too much for him so I have regulate his temperature. Also since switching him to raw food, there’s no guarantee that he will go to the toilet when I do walk him…
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Also no one uses the communal garden but me
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
There are 6 other flats
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.

Unfortunately if there is a communal garden then the request is fair for the use of other residents.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
With regards ***** ***** point b with the side entrance, he has never left a mark in the entrance, not once. But I have also noticed mud…
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How can I stop him from going in the garden?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If I could, then I would…
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Also the side entrance is full of rubble and no lighting so it’s dangerous

Sorry I cannot advice how you do this. Only that it is a fair request .

I guess yo would have to take him outside the garden area.