How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Solicitor4All Your Own Question
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7831
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Solicitor4All is online now

It's a very story. But my housing association are failing to

Customer Question

Hello there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: It's a very long story. But my housing association are failing to fix an issue in the flat I own that is preventing me from renting it out. This has been going on since February so I have lost £5000 so far
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Sw24as
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 16 days ago.

A very good day to you there, how do you do?

Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 16 days ago.

My name is Solicitor4All a law expert with over 15years practice. I will be helping you today. Thank you for the inquiry.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thanks. I'm good thank you
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 16 days ago.

First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through Please leave the inquiry with me and i will prepare a response for you here this afternoon. Thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
8226; In February 2022 I reported an issue with the stop-cock in my apartment. A plumber I hired privately informed me that it can’t be turned off in order to replace the broken bath and shower tap.
• I informed Lambeth Housing between 16th Feb and 23rd Feb (I made several calls as the issue was not easy to book)
• On 2nd March a Wates plumber (contracted on behalf of Lambeth Housing) attended my flat and told me he would need to escalate the issue to his supervisor.
• I chase several times to understand when the next appointment would be (calls on 3rd March, 10th March, 24th March).
• The plumber was booked for the 4th April and I was informed the booking was 8am-1pm. So I attended the property at those times (I don’t live there). I left at 1pm.
• I received a note through the door saying a plumber would attend on again on the 13th April in the “am”. I also received a voicemail after 4pm saying the plumber attended the property and the booking window was 10am-2pm.
• On 13th April no plumber attended the property.
• I called again on the 19th April and arranged a callout for the 21st April 1-5pm
• On 21st April no plumber attended the property
• I called again the 26th to arrange another appointment
• The next appointment was arranged for 06/05 1-5pm
• I attended the property from 1-5om, no one turned up on the 6th.
• i escalated the issue with Lambeth on the 6th, via the call centre and I also followed up with my own email to [email protected]
• i was told I would hear back in 48 hours, I didn't.
• Wates left me a voicemail on 9th May saying a plumber would attend on 11th May 8am-1pm. I attended the property from 8am-1pm and no plumber came.
• voicemail received at 1403 stating that a plumber was waiting outside my property. Rebooked for 20th May at 8am-1pm
• 20th May plumber attended. Did not ring the buzzer, but I got a call saying the plumber had missed me so managed to catch him before he drove off the estate. He said it would need a block shutdown to fix.
• called lambeth on 14th Jun and spoke to Becky (Enq 12401) who said no block shutdown has been raised in the system. Escalated my complaint from 13/04 to her manager. Waiting 48 hours for a reply.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Here is all the info you need to understand the issue.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I can't rent out this property until the broken shower is fixed, which can't be done until someone from Lambeth fixes the broken stop-cock. I've been told on multiple occasions it's their responsibility. And since February 2022 we have been in the same dance you see above. And I'm losing money paying the mortgage for this property that I should be renting as well as paying for my own rented property with my family.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Appreciate your help - look forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 15 days ago.
I am very sorry to hear of this. As long as they are not saying they are not responsible for replacing/repairing the stop clock then you should send them a letter before action for the damages you have suffered as a result of not being able to work on the bath and therefore not able to let the property. You can pursue them in the county court
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 15 days ago.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send me your message and I will be glad to assist you further,

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK thank you - you're correct. They are saying they are responsible but are negligent in carrying out the work. Do you know where I can find a template for the letter before action? Can you please explain to me the steps I should take from here in in. Thank you
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 15 days ago.
I do not do templates but you can get a free template on lawdepot or the CAB does send templates too. The letter before action simply needs to mention the reasons for your claim and give a timeline for their response at the end of which you can file the claim in court on claim form N1.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK thank you. I haven't done anything like this before. What is a reasonable timeline for their response? And if they don't respond within the timeline do I just go straight to the N1 form?
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 15 days ago.
14 days notice is considered reasonable and yes you go ahead and file in court if they don’t respond.