AKSimpleLaw
AKSimpleLaw, Solicitor
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
108371865

I have filed a small claim against my former landlord. They

Customer Question

Hello,I have filed a small claim against my former landlord.
They responded to my claim by rejecting all my allegations.Their response was full of inconsistencies and incorrect statements.I have 2 questions:
- Is it possible for me to write a rebuttal of their response *before* the judge looksat the case?
Or will I be able to do it before the hearing?- The information I gave in the online claim form are just a summary of what happened. When the judge asks me to "submit the evidence", will I be able to upload a text document in which I state the chronology and explanation of events?
Or will I have to rely solely on the summary I wrote in the online form?Thanks in advance
Expert:  AKSimpleLaw replied 18 days ago.
Hi! I am a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query. Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there may be delays in responding due to assisting other customers.
1) If your landlord has counterclaimed then you will need to file a defence to the claim and can also reply to their defence.If there is no counterclaim then you cannot file a response.2) when you get to the evidence stage, you can file a witness statement with other documents to support your position.
If there is no counterclaim, then the court will issue directions as to the next stages of the case.If there is a counterclaim, once you've filed your defence and reply, the court will issue directions.
I believe that answers both your questions. Please let me know if you need any further advice