How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AKSimpleLaw Your Own Question
AKSimpleLaw, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 529
Experience:  Experience in Litigation, Property, Family and Employment Law matters
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
AKSimpleLaw is online now

I have filed a small claim against my former landlord. They

Customer Question

Hello,I have filed a small claim against my former landlord.
They responded to my claim by rejecting all my allegations.Their response was full of inconsistencies and incorrect statements.I have 2 questions:
- Is it possible for me to write a rebuttal of their response *before* the judge looksat the case?
Or will I be able to do it before the hearing?- The information I gave in the online claim form are just a summary of what happened. When the judge asks me to "submit the evidence", will I be able to upload a text document in which I state the chronology and explanation of events?
Or will I have to rely solely on the summary I wrote in the online form?Thanks in advance
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  AKSimpleLaw replied 18 days ago.
Hi! I am a qualified solicitor in England and Wales. I will be assisting you with your query today. I may need to ask a few questions before I can address your query. Please bear in mind this is a chat service and there may be delays in responding due to assisting other customers.
Expert:  AKSimpleLaw replied 18 days ago.
1) If your landlord has counterclaimed then you will need to file a defence to the claim and can also reply to their defence.If there is no counterclaim then you cannot file a response.2) when you get to the evidence stage, you can file a witness statement with other documents to support your position.
Expert:  AKSimpleLaw replied 18 days ago.
If there is no counterclaim, then the court will issue directions as to the next stages of the case.If there is a counterclaim, once you've filed your defence and reply, the court will issue directions.
Expert:  AKSimpleLaw replied 18 days ago.
I believe that answers both your questions. Please let me know if you need any further advice