How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Solicitor4All Your Own Question
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7829
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Solicitor4All is online now

My daughter lives in a linked house with a small alley way

This answer was rated:

My daughter lives in a linked house with a small alley way shard to both back gardens. The neighbour says he owns the alley and has locked the gate and blocked access to my daughters back gate with entrance to her garden and back door- how do I find out if this is legal
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: ip33 1xu, Mustow street, bury st Edmunds
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I don’t understand
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my daughter had an intruder so the neighbour says he’s locking it for his safety

A very good day to you there, how do you do?

My name is Solicitor4All a law expert with over 15years practice. I will be helping you this morning. Thank you for the inquiry.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you
Thank you very much for your patience. I imagine you have seen  your daughter’s title documents to include the plan and this right of way must be shown there. You can do a search for the nighbours’ on the land registry website and the title deed should cost £3 and similar for the plan. If the restrictive covenant is there and showing this alleyway as an encumbrance on their land then you ought to advise them to remove the barrier they have put and failing that you  make an application for an injunction order on Form N16A. If you do not understand both tithe documents you must seek an opinion from a chartered surveyor.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. We are always glad to assist and clarify anything. All the best.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My daughters home is housing association so I have not seen plans and the neighbour owns his- would the HA have information on the access entitlement?

Thank you for your message. Yes as the legal title holders they must have the information and if not you can search on land registry just as you would the neighbour. It’s quick and you only need the post codes and the £3 payments per document requested.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The title plan of the neighbours house only shows round his house and garden, not including the alleyway- I presume this means he does not own it? I can’t get the title plan online for my daughters house as it is unavailable online but I will get her to ask the HA- there is nothing in his title register or plan regarding the alleyway

Morning? So it can’t be your neighbours’ but yes get your daughter to get a copy from the HA or to get them to clarify her right with regard to the alleyway.

Solicitor4All and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you