How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerDan90 Your Own Question
LawyerDan90, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 254
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LawyerDan90 is online now

Im in a bit of a puzzle. I'v started renting a room afte

Customer Question

Hello, Im in a bit of a puzzle. I'v started renting a room afte from May 2020, when covid pandemic started. I uave splitted with my girlfriend,neede something with low deposit, the location was perfect,everything looked genuine I have just signed whatever paper and online contract the lady gave to me to be signed and didn't think much about it. The contract was between me an company who was dealing with the property in name of the landlord,540 a kont, bills included I'v been therw for 2 years, in meantime the communication with the lady who spouse to deal with the property was rather poor, i have seen her maybe twice during this period. I didn't have any major isuess but It was already strange to me. So after around 2 years,she emereged out of nowhere announced
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Announcing that the landlord wants property back, and we have to move out, but she got some other property as a replacement. 3 weeks notice. So we moved to new house(very nice place in Nice estate) but everything was very chaotic, I had to nag her about new contract etc. So after 3 month of living in New property she came up with short let agreement, which basically saying that we a group of people renting this house, we should be all responsible for the property, taht on top of my £650 rent we will have to split bills over £150 between all of us. I found myself in difficult situation because I cannot sign this egreement, it's, excuse my language-bullshit. I didn't agreed for be a part of this HMO or whatever she's running here. It's all looks bit shady, I don't trust those people at all, and I just would like to know what is my legal status and what should I do next. The property is located in Milton Keynes, 25 Chasewater Crescent MK10 9QJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I didn't report anything, not sure about other people living in the house
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing I can think of at the moment. Just want to mention that I pay my rent on time since renting from these people
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Just would like to add, that she renting to people with benefits, and one of the guys already been threated with eviction(he said that that's because she didn't follow some procedures) and when he said that he is going to srot it out with council he have been told that if he will do this we all might be in trouble. Obviously I don't really know if that's true,but It really doest look good for me,just feel like she can pop in anytime saying that we have to move out or move somewhere else. Thanks a lot for your help in advanceTomasz Suchan
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
One more thing, I promise:) we moved in to a new property on 3rd of April, she send short let agreement Monday 13/06/22 which says from 6/05/22 till 5/8/22. I'm really concern if I should sign it and deal with any problems later, even though it doesn't look like this agreement give anything to stand on, or not signing it at all forgive me my chaotic English and bad grammar please
Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 16 days ago.
Good evening my name is ***** ***** I am a Solicitor. Thank you for your question. 

As the property is a house in multiple occupancy ('HMO') your landlord may require an HMO license from the Council to let the property as an HMO. If you have any concerns regarding this you should contact the Private rental team at your local council.

Based on the information provided it appears that the agreement is more than not an assured shorthold tenancy ('AST'). To order to evict you from the premises your landlord would have to serve a Section 8 or 21 notice under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. Once the notice has expired your landlord would have to apply to the court to evict you.

Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 16 days ago.

If you don't agree with the terms of the new tenancy agreement it would advisable to try and negotiate with your landlord or you may wish to look for alternative accommodation.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Well the problem is she never said that the new property will be HMO, she said everything stays the same, so she misinformed me about my status. I don't think that what she's doing is legal. And Im already looking for a new place.
Thanks for your quick reply.
Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 16 days ago.

If you believe that your landlord misrepresented the property to you. You could request that the agreement (verbal) is set aside so you could be released from the contract.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok, I have text messages as well and no HMO was mentioned, so I guess I'll just try to negotiate and resolve this in polite manner rather than having a go with her. In the end of the day I need a place to stay for at least another 2 months. thanks for your help
Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 16 days ago.

No worries I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello mate, just want to say that we came to the agreement and it's all good now. Thanks for your help. Cheers
Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 14 days ago.
That is great news, very glad to hear. It is always best to try and reach an amicable informal solution in this sort of situation. Please do not hesitate to come back to me should you require any further legal assistance. Daniel