LawyerDan90
LawyerDan90, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
111925293

For many years I have been awarded high rate PIP I have a

Customer Question

Dear sir for many years I have been awarded high rate PIP I have a number of people use my second bedroom I did not know I could
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: claim not to pay the bedroom tax if I show the council proof and those that slept at mine can they repay the money I have paid I have mentle matters
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: maidstone council
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: yes I was taken to court by my landlord for not paying the bedroom tax it is all paid now
Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 17 days ago.
Good evening, my name is ***** ***** I am a Solicitor. Thank you for contacting Just Answer. 

Do you wish to recover the bedroom tax you have already paid?

Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 16 days ago.

Please confirm your response so I can try to assist you.

Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 15 days ago.

The bedroom tax affects how much of your rent can be covered by housing benefit or the universal credit housing element.

The maximum rent that can be covered is reduced by:

• 14% for 1 spare bedroom

• 25% for 2 or more spare bedrooms

Example: If your rent is £100 a week, the maximum benefit you get to help with rent is:

• £86 if you have 1 spare room

• £75 if you have 2 spare rooms

You must pay the shortfall if the benefit you get is less than your rent.

Before considering whether or not you are owed money please use this helpful tool to check your eligibility for benefits -  https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=d258dd5b-b4c6-42e3-b132-4b0866a4abbb