LawyerDan90
LawyerDan90, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
111925293

Can tenant get permission from council to deposit rent in

Customer Question

Can tenant get permission from council to deposit rent in court as letting agent has become unreachable
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: E10 London
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet....yeah we as tenants reported harassment...our rent is up to date
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Waltham Forest council stepped in against illegal eviction..... Waltham Forest Advocacy service is dealing the matter
Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 17 days ago.
Good evening, my name is ***** ***** I am a Solicitor. Thank you for your question.

I presume your landlord is a private landlord and has issued possession proceedings against you. What permission are you seeking from the Council or court?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
There seems to be some dispute between landlord , agent and the third agent which makes situation very awkward as we have no one to turn to regarding matters relating to the house .
In such case as a tenant we want that our rent be secured with the third party .
This house hasn't got license so we cannot be served notice under section 21 .
As our rent is up to date so section 8 notice too cannot be given .
The council has already warned agent against any illegal eviction .
The property needs electric and gas top ups for which we haven't got any card or key , so far gas and electric is fine but we don't know anything of future .
As I'm a working person , these nagging problems put additional stress on me .
Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your question. Pursuant the landlord and tenant act it is the landlords obligation to protect your deposit in the tenancy deposit scheme. Get all correspondence with your landlord in writing to show that you have made all reasonable attempts to encourage your landlord to comply.

As you already have the assistance of the council you should ask them to help you with this because if your landlord property is a HMO then they must comply with local council guidelines.