Solicitor4All
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

If tenant does not sign contract, sorry - if tenancy

If tenant does not sign contract
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: sorry - if tenancy agreement not signed is guarantor liable? Tenant not ongoing occupant - UK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: guarantor agreement signed but part of joint contract with other tenants and guarantors none of whom have signed
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: jointly & separately liable but my argument would be there is no contract as tenants not signed initial agreement nor have other guarantors
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (L677TP6)

A very good morning n to you there, how do you do? 

I am SolicitorAll a law Expert with over 15 years in practice. It is my pleasure to assist you this morning.Thank you for the inquiry

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Good morning
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok - happy to do online conversation
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Basically son and three others at university - moving out of halls into private rental property.
One has pulled out - no longer feasible to proceed - landlord also changed to bills not included.
Deposits paid but letting agency told another parent would be refunded if did not go ahead. I signed guarantor agreement when looked as though there no issues. none of tenants other guarantors have signed - so there is no agreement/contract? is my question.
Concerned I may be liable but clearly intended as joint agreement - want to be as sure as I can be of my position
We ca chat online it’s ok ✅ 

First of all, thank you for the update. Please leave the inquiry with me and i will prepare a response for you here this morning . Thank you.

Thank you for your patience. Unless the contract states that it must be signed before the tenants can call the property theirs and get the keys, signing where the contract itself would be valid even if it was verbal would not terminate the contract. If the guarantor however didn’t sign then they can’t be bound because they would only amount to having been nominated but they need to agree to be guarantor and the signature confirms this.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. I am always glad to clarify anything and to guide further should you return. All the best,

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have signed - but the tenants and other parties have not.- am I liable?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Or potentially liable?

Does the tenancy agreement say it must be signed to be binding? If it does then you would not be liable.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don’t think it does say that anywhere - none of the tenants have signed the agreement.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It does say “do not sign this agreement if you do not want to be bound by it. Signing confirms acceptance of the terms herein”
All tenants, landlord, and guarantors are at bottom of document to sign.
None of tenants/other guarantors have signed. I have.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
File attached (PZ2632Q)

Your tenant can rely on that then to say they did not agree and you as guarantor will not be liable because you only step in the tenant's shoes when they breach the contract and there wouldn't be a contract to breach/ Hopefully your tenant did not move in as that can be argued to have been a waiver of the right to rely on the no signature term.