How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32195
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I want to change solicitors as my current one won't accept

This answer was rated:

I want to change solicitors as my current one won't accept the risk of an express search and a local authority search indemnity insurance policy
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: County durham
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We have draft contracts and should be receiving the drainage and water search any day but the local authority search isn't due until 23 Aug and we've already waited 12 weeks
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The property is unregistered and our mortgage provider (HSBC) is happy with an indemnity policy

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I'm sorry to read of the above. May I confirm how far along in the conveyancing process generally you are please?

Joshua and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Our lawyer has draft contracts and sent Initial enquiries which she said she would review in due course. The Drainage and water search is due tomorrow and the local authority search has a delay of 23 Aug, we emailed the mortgage provider and they said the would accept a local authority search indemnity insurance policy as long as the lawyer accepted it at their own risk and the property wasn't worth more them £1m, they refused as they wouldn't accept the risk, said because the property was unregistered, the risk was greater and it was their company policy to obtain full searches. We've already waited 12 weeks and the delay is a further 9 weeks and if our mortgage provider is happy with an express search, we could be in well before that date
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The house we are in the process of buying is valued at £463,000 and I have just received the Drainage and Water search so it's just the local authority search we are waiting on

I am sorry I missed your request for a phone call which I note was picked up by one of my colleagues with whom by now I trust you have had a productive conversation and discuss the above matter in detail. To the extent you have any follow-up questions or any issues that were not fully addressed on the phone, please revert to me and I will be happy to assist further.

I hope my colleague was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.