How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4706
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I and my partner moved out of a rented flat in March this

This answer was rated:

I and my partner moved out of a rented flat in March this year after staying there for about 18 months. After various back and forth over deductions from the deposit, the management company repaid the bulk of it and we continued to argue about the final few hundred. Finally I gave into most of it just to get it done though I thought the deductions were unreasonable (they charged 300 for cleaning for example). They agreed to repay around 77 pounds and sent us a final agreement docusign pdf document to sign and return. We did this. They then went quiet. I chased and chased. Finally I heard back saying they'd unearthed 600 worth of heating bills that the landlady had paid by mistake over the last year. They said they'd invoiced us over the last year and asked us to check if we'd paid. They said they'd only just been informed (by the external supplier) in spite of having previously checked and confirmed final figures and been told we were all paid up to date. The situation is confusing as sometimes heating bills came from the management company and sometimes from an external supplier who provide the hot water and communal energy to the block (newish build block of flats.) As far as I know we had paid all invoices received but it's possible that something was missed due to the confusing manner of invoices, no-one telling us we hadn't paid and then being told we were up to date etc. Most recently we had a final bill for 43, one before that for 67 which I know I paid direct to the energy company. My questions is, does the management company have the right to demand these payments of 600 now that the final agreement is signed and they'd agreed to pay back 77?
Also, we actually had major hot water problems for a period of about 5 months where we only had a literal trickle of hot water and struggled to get them to get it fixed. Eventually it was done just before we moved out.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: london uk
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not that I can think of
Hi welcome to justanswer
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok thank you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no thank you, ***** ***** fine for now
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
hi are you still there?
Kindly give me a minute, I am in the process of reviewing what you have typed to provide a written response.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I am of the view that the management company cannot go behind the agreement which was signed. They should reimburse you the amount you had agreed to. This seems to me that they do not want to pay and is simply using this as a means by which to avoid payment.

I would write to them advising of the above and advise them of your intention to bring the matter to court for breach of contract if they fail to pay.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you that's what I was hoping to hear!

If you intend to take the legal route ( which I think is likely to be successful) you are required to first write to the company a letter headed letter before action. In the letter you should advise of your intention to bring a claim against them, the amount being claimed and the basis for the claim. The law requires for you to give them a minimum of 14 days to attempt to settle things amicably. If they then fail to pay you may issue proceedings against them.

You may issue proceedings via the below link

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
ok thank you

You are most welcome!

ReadyLaw and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Does your advice still stand even if it turns out that we did miss an invoice and technically should have paid more than we have?

Yes, my advice is based on the fact of their being a written agreement by which both of you have agreed to be bound to settle this dispute. I would therefore base my claim on a breach of contract/agreement and not necessarily on the return of the deposit.