How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7562
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I just took back an apartment of mine which was being

This answer was rated:

Hi guys, I just took back an apartment of mine which was being managed by an agent. The apartment was a complete mess, he didnt even do a check out so the old tenant walked off with most of my belongings ie Ironing Board, Iron, Bedding, Duvet, towels etc, he was heavily damaged and now my agent has received the deposit back but has walked away from me. What can I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Liverpool UK
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: its been reported to the agent but I have been waiting for the agent to fix everything and its 2 months now and nothing has been done
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: thats pretty much it, I am trying to get this back on the market but the old tenant is now living in one of the agents other apartments so I think he is reluctant to go after him but I am massively out of pocket now and my apartment is a mess
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

You can inform the police of the theft of your property items by the tenant, you can start a claim against the tenant for the value of thr items taken if you know where they are now.

Or, you could claim against the agent for the value due to their negligence.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I would like to make a claim against the agency as he has done absolutely nothing to manage this property. How would I proceed with a claim and is there a governing body who I would make that claim through or would it need to be via a solicitor and the courts?

The starting point is to send them a letter before claim.

This sets out your claim against them,what it is for and why, and the amount. You would give them a date to pay by or face a legal claim for your loss.

james bruce and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

A solicitor can draft the letter for you or you can use the attached template.

The claim would be made at court, and can be started online after the letter has been sent and the deadline to pay has passed.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.