Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I returned my AirPods to a nearby Amazon locker since I no

Customer Question

I returned my AirPods to a nearby Amazon locker since I no longer wanted it…it was an unopened and unused product…I dropped it off at an Amazon locker on the 13/03/22 at 8:14pm…today it is the 20 th of June so it’s been more than a month but still when I track my return/Refund status it says that amazon still hasn’t recovered the parcel yet and so I’m just a bit worried…the Amazon locker is located at the entrance of a premier inn hotel…I spoke with the manager on (2/6/22) and she had told me that Amazon actually rents out those lockers so the hotel themselves don’t have anything to do with them…they don’t know when and what time the delivery person will come and collect those parcels since that’s not part of their job…she told me to contact Amazon themselves…I had been warned that after posting my package into the locker that I would not receive any sort of receipt or confirmation so I have video footage of me posting my parcel into the locker as proof.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, an employment solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some information first to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Have you contacted Amazon about it yet? I also wanted to make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
sir. I contacted them over phone and email.
They say that they didn't receive the product.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (Z7555LQ)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Since Amazon doesn't give any confirmation for dropping in locker, a video of product being dropped in was taken
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (S3P3SZV)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I sent the video now
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I sent video to Amazon agent also but Still they say that they have not received the product
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
What can be done now
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thanks and how did you pay for it?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I paid by credit card
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also i want to clarify that I am from India and I ordered this product on Amazon UK website for my friend. He returned it unopened and unused.
Days went but still i haven't received refund.
There were some technical issues in contacting Amazon UK customer care.
So my friend who is a citizen of United Kingdom changed my account to his name including email id and phone number with my consent.
He contacted Amazon UK customer service.
I have attached reply above
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Thanks and just t check, you do know this person you ought them for and have met them in person, rather than it being someone you have only met online?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I know him for more than 2 years. He is my close friend
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also once product is dropped inside locker, only Amazon can access it.
Amazon doesn't give any confirmation for dropping inside the locker.
The only proof is video shot by him
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (M535MTT)
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** need to check that you know them face-to-face as there are many scams happening where people you have never met in person become your friends, only to defraud you in the process.

If you 100% know this person is genuine then the issue would be between you and Amazon for their failure to refund you when the goods have actually been sent back. If the locker does not issue a receipt then the lack of one should not stop you from taking it further.

The first thin you can try and do is to approach your credit card to see if they can offer any protection as in the UK this does happen but it is only under UK legislation so you need to check if there are local laws which give you something similar.

If there is no such protection, your only option may be to sue Amazon for the refund. The problem is you are in India, they are the UK branch so you may have difficulty pursuing legal claim across these two jurisdictions. It is possible but won’t be easy or cheap and you have to consider if it is worth it when you look at the total you are trying to recover. If it was me, I would continue pushing Amazon as far as I can, until I get the desired outcome.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your reply sir.
I don't know whether i can ask for my credit card company when Amazon says that they have not received the product.Also u suggested me about suing Amazon.
Can my friend sue Amazon as he changed my account to his name for communication purpose.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

No your friend cannot sue Amazon as that would amount to fraud – he never had a contract with Amazon as that was always between you and them.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay sir. I never had idea of suing. All i wanted was my refund.
I couldn't believe that this happened in a systematic country like U.K where there are clear checks and balances and that too with big corporate giant like Amazon.
I could understand if it happened in some Asian countries where it's common to get scammed.
Also for past 1.5 months my friend has been contacting Amazon several times but he was not given proper response.
Also we had misunderstandings between us regarding this.
We put in our efforts and time to get our refund which we deserve.
That's why i asked you what can be done.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Yes I understand but your options are pretty much as explained above so you will have to consider which is the best route to pursue

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Apart from original amount can i claim for any compensation for delayed refund?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

Not really, you could eventually add interest if you went to court but that will be a very small amount, like £15 per year

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay sir. Thank you very much for your service
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 14 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.