Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My mother has died and left everything in my name, her

My mother has died and left everything in my name, her husband has gone behind my back and had a property valuation of £220,000. I know the property is worth a lot more and after saying he wanted nothing he is now asking for 105,000. Where do I stand he is trying to put me off applying probate.
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Coventry Uk
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Death been filed he has seen his solicitor. I have seen mine about probate but it is on hold atm
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing I can think of all bills were in my mum's name

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am very sorry to read of the above and please accept my sincere condolences for your loss.

1. May I clarify what you suspect the motivation is for your mother's husband obtaining a lower valuation in relation to the property please?
  2. as your mother made any provision for her husband in her will?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He asked a friend of his for the valuation but the property has not been viewed by an estate agent. He thinks that because I an getting a valuation I am selling it. He is not English. No she has made no provisions for him and her will was redone after she married him
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can I start probate without his permission

I am sorry I missed your request for a phone call which I note was picked up by one of my colleagues with whom by now I trust you have had a productive conversation and discuss the above matter in detail. To the extent you have any follow-up questions or any issues that were not fully addressed on the phone, please revert to me and I will be happy to assist further.

I hope my colleague was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.