How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4711
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

My friend/tenant had been living in an informal arrangement

Customer Question

My friend/tenant had been living in an informal arrangement in my propery in the uk and he is now turning “unfriendly” and I need to give him notice
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: London
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what needed to be filed?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Since it was an informal agreement, that he stays in my propery while Im overseas there was no need for making this formalCustomer: Chat is completed
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
The tenant and I had an informal arrangement like this for about / more than 10 years
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He lived in my place, kept an eye, replaced things here and there but I also paid for any things that broke or got added new. In the last year his payments have been less than the agreed full amount and the last two months it’s just over half of the agreed amount.
Now he is completely hostile and aggressive towards me
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I am sorry to hear of this. The law still requires for you to give him notice to leave. You unfortunately cannot simply change the locks and tell the person to leave.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.

The current requirement would be for you to give the person 2 months notice to vacate premises. You would issue a section 21 notice which is essentially a no fault notice for the person to leave the property.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.

Please see the below link with information with respect to the notice and the information that is to be included in the notice.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
what about a rent license. Must I have one?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I wasn’t aware of this requirement
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Does the fact that he lived in my flat for more than ten years impact my rights as landlord or any other rights?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 14 days ago.

This does not affect any other rights you may have had. This person is not a tenant in the truest sense of the word. So there would be no need for a licence.