LawyerDan90
LawyerDan90, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
111925293

I am a leaseholder of a property. I owe arreas of approx -

Hello - I am a leaseholder of a property.
I owe arreas of approx - £11k for insurance and service charges.
I haven't paid these as the landlord hasn't fixed ANY part of the building.
Should I pay these or can I raise a dispute?
Good evening, my name is ***** ***** I am a Solicitor. Thank you for your question.

Under your lease, your landlord will have an obligation to repair, and maintain the exterior, structure and common parts of the building.

If your landlord has failed to repair the above you could make a claim for housing disrepair. Have you put your landlord on notice of the issues?

I understand why you are withholding the monies. It is important to note that this is a breach of the terms of your lease and your landlord could potentially sue you for the outstanding arrears.

I believe you have two options:-

1. Pay the outstanding arrears; or

2. Hold the monies in a separate bank account to show you are willing to pay once your landlord fulfils their obligations.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for the response. In answer to your first question. I haven't.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Regarding your second point (outlining the options), I thought this was the case _ I will pay the arrears.
Thank you for your help!

No problem at all, happy to assist you. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions. Daniel