TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

I was denied entry to my own apartment where i was supposed

Customer Question

I was denied entry to my own apartment where i was supposed to move in yesterday.
JA: What are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leicester
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: denied entry 15 min past 5 pm which was neither communicated, nor mentioned any where / documented. The only phone call i received was 45 min before pm while i was en route to Leicester from London with all my bag and baggage
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

Hello, denied by who?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Denied by a member of the letting agency. Saying that we do not have check in after 5 pm. This is neither documented nor has been verbally or in any correspondence mentioned to me or my flat mate prior to check in date.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The only phone call i received was 45 min before pm while i was en route to Leicester from London with all my bag and baggage. I was told that if I do not leave the property, they will have me escorted out by the security.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

Do you have the communication by the letting agent confirming the movie in date? Can you copy/paste it here? (redact personal information)

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

Can you please clarify the circumstances, which are not clear?

What kind of accommodation is this?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Its just the agreement that states the move in date.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

What kind of contract is it?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Assured shorthold tenancy agreement
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

What is the letting agent?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Cording Residential Asset Management Limited
Merlin Wharf apartment
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

When did you inform the letting agent that you were checking in at 5pm?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
when they called me at 4:15, because We were clueless regarding any restricted time line for check in
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I told them, I cannot be at the property at dot 5 pm, I am already on my way and i am stuck at traffic.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I reached there by 5 PM
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

This service is not meant for legal advice, but I can tell you the following.

Undoubtedly, it sounds very unusual, to say the least, that the time of the move in is not agreed.

Even more when the tenant arrives from another city.

Normally, the tenant is welcomed by the inventory company in the flat, but, even if there is the letting agent instead, the time of the move in is normally agreed. 

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

The letting agent offices are open in ordinary business hours, and one should not expect the letting agent being available later, especially because the move in may take some time.

Most letting agency business close at 17-17:30pm, some are open also later,

You certainly did not organise well the appointment for the move in, but the letting agent is the party supposed to act professionally, and I don't think they did.

For sure, saying that you would be escorted by the security was totally unacceptable.

Even if you were disappointed and you showed you were, a letting agent should never act rudely.

I therefore think that you should submit a complaint and claim some form of compensation for the inconvenience and distress.

If you had to spend the night at a hotel, I would ask the refund of the hotel's invoice.

I'm not sure your complaint will be upheld, but you may escalate it to the property ombudsman.

Not the best way to start a tenancy, but this already happened, unfortunately,

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Complaint where exactly ? To the civil court ? Or CAB ?
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 18 days ago.

You must complain to the letting agent.

If you can't find their complaint policy online, you may ask for it by email.