Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have received a Summons to repay £4K in rent due to my

Customer Question

Hello,I have received a Summons to repay £4K in rent due to my property not being licensed in Nottingham.I began buying the property in July 2019, the licensing law came into place in August 2019 and I completed in 2019.I have never seen the property myself, it was bought through the estate agent and let by them, I pay them 10% of the rent to manage it and it has been mismanaged from start to finish, they didn’t make sure it was licensed at any stage until the tenant found out about the licensing laws.As soon as I was made aware of licensing, I got one, and the managing agent has an email from the tenant saying that we will let her out of her AST 6 months early on the condition that she doesn’t claim the rent back, but she has now done that anyway.I have attached the summons.Is this something you could help with?Kind RegardsRoyJA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me where the property is located?
Customer: Nottingham
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I've applied for an extension but that is it so far
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thats about it
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 14 days ago.
Hi thank you for your message I will look to assist
If the property was let without a licence as required then you are ultimately responsible as the landlord and need to pay any compensation eg the rent. That said you would in turn have a legal claim against the agent for negligence and by extension you can get the money you pay back from them. You should hire a local high street solicitor to bring legal action against the agent for negligence on your behalf. I trust this assists
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you Jeremy, in your opinion do you think I would have a strong case against the managing agent?Thank you in advanceRoy
absolutely. I trust this assists

Thank you for using JA